Rolling with the punches

I hinted at this a while back, but wasn't ready to share the specifics. Wanted to make sure everything went through before proverb anything. But today, its full steam alee! No looking back because….

We're moving AGAIN. Today! If you lot follow me on Snapchat, y'all saw my announcement at that place yesterday. Merely for everyone else, this may seem a bit out of left field. And it is! Information technology totally is. But if there's ane matter I've learned later most eight years in business organization, it's that things will (seemingly) come out of left field often and yous just have to roll with and hope to catch the ball.

That said, here's what happened…

I moved into the commencement P&S studio space back in Oct and I was SO excited! It was really, really nice to accept a space completely divide course my house where everyone could meet up and we could work from (without the distractions of working from home and the super cute animals), etc. I had LOTS of plans for what I wanted to do with the space as well…renovate the kitchen and bathrooms, redo the floors, pigment the ceiling, drywall over the cinder cake in the areas that weren't already drywalled, etc, etc. And so, when it finally came to doing all of those things (AKA forking over the money to have it done professionally…I mean I DIY, but I don't do drywall or flooring), I had some serious sticker shock. In the interest of keeping information technology real, and in instance you're curious, the quote was $22,000! And that didn't fifty-fifty include the kitchen or bathroom renos. Ugh!

Here are some photos of the former space, to requite you an idea of the work that needed to be washed…

old-paper-and-stitch-studio-main0area-1

Old Paper & Stitch Studio

Old Paper & Stitch Studio

Old Paper & Stitch Studio

Do I have the coin for said renovation? Technically aye, but practise I want to spend that kind of money on a place that I don't own? Well, that depends. Could I ultimately stay in the infinite for a long enough fourth dimension to make it worth it (aka years). Well, yeah, I judge I could. But did I want to? That was what I actually had to think well-nigh.

So, after the quote, information technology was time for a little soul-searching. I ran those questions through my head over and over once more. If I go through with these renovations will they brand everything magically wonderful? If so, maybe information technology would be worth it. I similar the location and the fact that it'south a free-standing building, etc, etc.

But after actually, Actually thinking about my answers to those questions, the just affair I came upward with over and once again was NO. Even if I spent all that money on renovations, I still wouldn't have exactly what I was looking for. Because the biggest problem I had with the infinite was (dun, dun, dun) the natural light. Equally in…no matter how hard I tried… there would never be enough. 🙁

And that's a big problem when ninety% of your business relies on you being able to take alway decent natural low-cal photos.

Don't go me wrong, this beginning space was a cracking first pace, getting my work out of the house and all, but in one case we got in, we very quickly realized that light was an upshot. Which meant we had to shoot all of the blog photos in a very pocket-sized area of the space toward the front (that yet had issues) and non e'er being able to testify the entirety of the space considering the photos just never looked as good as I would want them to be. Especially since I hadn't done the renovations yet.

SO, on a whim, I went and looked at a space right down the street (literally two blocks away) and immediately realized we had to motion. I was really nervous about it. And honestly wished that information technology wasn't necessary. Only I simply knew it was the right decision. So, I broke the lease at the old place. Signed a lease on the new identify. And here we are!

So, yes – information technology'southward all very exciting and scary and awesome and e'er-irresolute. But it feels skilful to go on moving Paper & Stitch in the direction I desire to go, even if it was a considerably inconvenient choice to make.

The reason I mention all this (in great detail) though is because I experience like there was a lesson here, for me at least. You can't stay somewhere (figuratively), in life, merely considering yous've already settled in and unpacked all of your boxes. If you want to go along moving, there is no time for settling. Right?

And so, now that yous've read through this novel (thank you), I desire to hear from you….What are some obstacles that you've been facing recently that y'all have overcome? How did y'all make the conclusion to make a change?

Photography by Amelia Tatnall